Ever wake up in the morning with a belly battle-cry for French toast? So you head to the kitchen with the birds singing outside the window until you open the fridge and discover you forgot you needed eggs. Oh man, what’s a rocker to do? Why, keep rocking on with this simple fix – a French toast recipe without eggs!
Best French Toast Recipe Without Eggs
You won’t believe this French toast doesn’t have eggs when you taste it. It’s perfect if you’re vegan too with a few little swaps we have for you below!
Easy French Toast Without Eggs Recipe
It’s just a few simple ingredients that are most certainly in your kitchen right now. And since it’s only 20 minutes from prep to plating, you can get your no egg French toast fix fast!
Eggless French Toast Ingredients
- Milk – If you want to make this vegan, use a non-dairy milk of your choice.
- White bread slices – Thick ones that are a few days old work the best.
- Vanilla extract – Creates that critical sweet taste French toast needs.
- Butter – Choose unsalted, and if you’re making this vegan, use a vegan butter.
- Cinnamon – For that perfect seasoning!
- Cornstarch – Aha! That’s the secret ingredient to make this eggless French toast!
- Toppings – Gather your favorite things to top this off with like sliced strawberries, maple syrup, powdered sugar, or anything else you like.
How do you make French toast without eggs from scratch?
You’ll add the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and cornstarch into a bowl and mix until the cornstarch dissolves. Then, heat your griddle so it’s medium to medium-high heat and grease it with some butter. Dunk the bread slices into the bowl and let it soak up the mixture on both sides, then cook for about 4 minutes per side. They should be golden brown when they’re ready, then you can top them with those toppings and enjoy!
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect No Egg French Toast
- Soak but not too long. You want your bread to sop up the milky mixture but you don’t want it to get soggy.
- Use old bread. French toast of any kind (even eggless) works the best when the bread you use is a bit stale. That means no mold but not the kind of bread you’d be happy about using for a sandwich.
- The thicker, the better. Thicker bread slices work best with this eggless French toast recipe.
What is the best bread when making French toast without eggs?
Thick slices of white bread will be best for this eggless French toast. The bread should also be a bit stale because when it’s drier, it can soak up the milk mixture better.
How much milk do you use for French toast without eggs?
The ratio for milk is ¾-cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to make the mixture you’ll dip the bread into for French toast without eggs.
How do you make French toast without eggs?
To make French toast without eggs, you’ll combine regular milk or dairy-free milk with cornstarch, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. This mimics the consistency of eggs without using eggs.
What is the trick to French toast without eggs?
French toast can be made without eggs thanks to cornstarch and milk. But the biggest trick is using older bread so that it comes out just right.
How to cook homemade no egg French toast?
Cooking homemade no egg French toast is the same as any other type of French toast. You’ll cook it on the stovetop in a griddle or skillet.
Is it better to cook French toast in butter or oil?
Butter is always a better choice for French toast because it gives it a richer taste. If you’re making eggless French toast because you’re vegan, you can use a vegan butter to achieve the same taste.
What can you put on French toast instead of syrup?
You can put powdered sugar, fresh fruit, Nutella, peanut butter, or anything else you like. There are a variety of toppings that can suit your tastes, and if you’re vegan, plenty of options for you too.
What goes well with French toast?
Any of your favorite French toast toppings will go great! That’s syrup, powdered sugar, slices of fruit, berries, candied pecans, caramel, and whatever you like. For a full breakfast, you can add hashbrowns, bacon, and sausage, or the meatless versions of those for a vegan breakfast.
How to store leftover French toast?
French toast needs be wrapped well so it doesn’t dry out. Put it in plastic wrap or foil to keep the air out, then into the fridge it goes!
How long does French toast without eggs last?
Ideally, this tastes best if you eat it sooner rather than later. However, you can enjoy it up to a week from the fridge.
Can you freeze French toast?
Yes, French toast freezes well. But it doesn’t last forever. It’s best to eat it within a month of making it.
How to reheat French toast?
Use your oven for the best French toast reheat. Set it to 350F and place the French toast on top of a wire rack on your baking sheet, then cover with foil. Heat it for about 5 to 10 minutes and enjoy!
Watch How To Make French Toast Without Eggs (Video)
French Toast Recipe Without Eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 slices white bread (thick, a few days old)
- 2 tbsp butter (unsalted, for frying)
- 1 cup strawberries (sliced, optional topping)
- maple syrup (optional topping)
- powdered sugar (optional topping)
- In a shallow bowl, combine milk, corn starch, vanilla, and cinnamon until the cornstarch is fully dissolved.
- Heat a griddle over medium to medium-high heat and lightly grease with butter. While the griddle heats up, place each slice of bread into the shallow bowl and allow it to fully absorb the mixture on each side.
- Cook on the griddle for about 4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Once each slice is fried, top with strawberries, syrup, and powdered sugar and serve.