If you love homemade French toast but can’t have dairy, knowing how to make french toast without milk is a must. Or you know, if you had a late night (like one of our crazy, crazy nights of the past) and you don’t want to run out for milk, there’s a secret ingredient you can use to make it without dairy and still have it come out legendary!
Best French Toast Recipe Without Milk
While milk is always included in French toast recipes, we’re going to show you how to make this iconic breakfast without dairy milk. And best of all, you’re going to get the same delicious results you’ll get with our classic French toast recipe too!
Easy French Toast Without Milk Recipe
This easy French toast recipe without milk is even quicker and more simple to make than regular French toast. With these simple ingredients, you’ll go from stovetop to tabletop in just 15 minutes!
Dairy Free French Toast Ingredients
- Slices of white bread – These should be older and drier rather than fresh.
- Eggs – You’ll need 2 of them for this.
- Coconut milk – To get the ratio right for a dairy-free French toast, measure it out to 1 cup.
- Sugar – Without dairy, you’ll need this to get the taste just right.
- Cinnamon – Adds that nice sweetly-spiced flavor.
How do you make French toast without milk from scratch?
Put everything but the bread in a bowl and whisk it together. Then drop your bread into the mixture and coat both sides well. Grease your skillet using butter and put it on medium-high heat. Cook each side for 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown and serve right away with your favorite French toast toppings.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect No Milk French Toast
- Bread is the most important part. It really needs to be stale so it can soak up the egg and non-dairy milk mixture. If your bread is too fresh, try toasting it briefly first to dry it out.
- Go butter all the way. Butter really adds that signature flavor to French toast.
- Don’t soak the bread too long. While you want the mixture to get in there, too long a soak can make this breakfast a soggy mess.
What is the best bread for French toast?
Any kind of bread style will work though white bread that is a little old is ideal. It’s drier and will soak up the custard you make from the eggs and non-dairy milk.
Why are eggs used in French toast?
Eggs help firm things up in the French toast. Getting that ratio to the non-dairy milk right plus using stale bread will ensure a better outcome.
How do you make French toast without milk?
It’s best to use a milk substitute when making French toast without milk. Coconut milk will give you the best results.
How much coconut milk do you use for French toast eggs?
The correct ratio when using coconut milk in French toast is 1 cup with 2 eggs.
What is the trick to French toast without milk?
The trick is with the bread, regardless of the kind of milk you use. Stale bread gives you the best results when making French toast.
How to cook homemade no milk French toast?
You’ll cook it over medium-high heat on the stovetop. A non-stick skillet or griddle will make it turn out the best.
Is it better to cook French toast in butter or oil?
Butter is always the best choice for making French toast. It imparts more richness to the final product.
What goes well with dairy free French toast?
The same toppings and sides you love with classic French toast can work here. That’s maple syrup, fresh fruits, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, caramel sauce, caramelized bananas, and whatever you love on there. Serve it with eggs any way you like, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, and those other breakfast classics.
What can you put on French toast instead of syrup?
Anything that you like will make a good topping for your French toast. If you’re out of syrup, you can try powdered sugar, fresh fruits, jam, chocolate syrup, caramel, or whatever else you have in your kitchen.
How to store leftover French toast?
Don’t let your French toast dry out. Wrap it in plastic wrap or foil, or put it in a zipper bag and squeeze all the air out, then put it in your fridge.
How long does no milk French toast last?
You will want to finish these dairy-free French toast leftovers within a week. They’ll be best when you eat them as soon as possible. If you’re all French-toasted-out though, you can put them in the freezer.
Can you freeze French toast?
Yes you can, but we recommend you reheat them again within a month.
How to reheat French toast?
French toast reheats best in the oven. Heat to 350F and use a wire rack on your baking sheet. Put the French toast on the wire rack, cover with foil, and heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
Watch How To Make French Toast Without Milk (Video)
French Toast Recipe Without Milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 slices white bread (a few days old)
- 2 tbsp butter (unsalted)
- maple syrup (optional topping)
- sliced strawberries (optional topping)
- blueberries (optional topping)
- Whisk together all ingredients except for the bread in a shallow bowl.
- Place the slices into the egg mixture and make sure both sides are well-coated.
- Grease the skillet with butter on medium-high heat. Cook the slices on each side about 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.