Crispy on the outside and fluffy inside, this homemade waffle recipe is always one of my favorite late-night feasts at diners after a show. But what rocks more is making them yourself. Make homemade waffles today with this simple recipe, it is much easier than you might think!
Best Waffle Recipe
Waffles might be made with similar ingredients to pancakes but they have a whole different texture and taste. Those squares are the perfect reservoirs for your syrup to soak in, making it the ultimate breakfast treat or even an indulgent dessert.
Easy Waffle Recipe
Waffles only look hard. But once you see how easy these are to make, you’ll be making them all the time. With just a few ingredients and in less than 20 minutes, you’ll be delighting in these crispy, fluffy, and amazing breakfast waffles!
Homemade Belgian Waffle Ingredients
- Flour – All-purpose flour is perfect for waffles.
- Baking powder – This helps the your waffle batter recipe rise up and take on that nice golden color.
- Sugar – Every waffle needs to be sweet!
- Cinnamon – This helps with more warmth in the sweetness.
- Vanilla extract – You guessed it – sweet!
- Salt – Just a touch makes for the finest balance.
- Whole milk – Don’t skimp here. It’s worth it!
- Vegetable oil – The necessary fat for your waffles.
- Eggs – Separate the whites from the yolks.
How do you Make Waffles from Scratch?
When making a waffle recipe from scratch, you need a waffle iron or it’s impossible to make breakfast waffles. Make sure you preheat your waffle iron and spray with nonstick cooking spray prior to making your Belgian waffle batter. In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat your egg whites. You want them to form stiff peaks. And in yet another bowl, combine the yolks, oil, milk, and vanilla extract. You’ll then add this egg yolk mixture to the dry mixture, combining thoroughly. After that, fold the egg whites in with care. Pour your batter onto the waffle iron. Since all waffle irons have their own instructions, make sure you follow yours until the waffles are done. Serve this Belgium waffles recipe with your favorite waffle toppings!
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Homemade Waffles
- Make sure that waffle iron is hot! Waffle irons require about 10 minutes of preheating time to get to the right temperature.
- Wait between waffles. If you give your waffle iron a couple minutes after removing your waffles, it has enough time to heat back up again. The waffle batter will absorb some of the heat from the Belgium waffle maker so give it a minute to heat up fully.
- Whip those egg whites. As with any homemade waffles recipe, this is how you get those light and fluffy restaurant-quality Belgium waffles.
What is so special about Belgian waffles?
Belgian waffles have deeper pockets in them, perfect for holding loads of syrup and toppings.
What is the best mix to use for waffles?
Everyone likes to argue over which mix is the best for waffles. The best one is the one you make yourself at home with fresh ingredients rather than preservatives in a box.
What is waffle batter made of?
Waffle batter is made with flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon, eggs, vanilla extract, whole milk, and vegetable oil.
Is Belgian waffle batter different?
Yes because it will use a leavening agent or whipped egg whites. This results in light and fluffy waffles.
How do you make batter in a waffle maker?
Once you mix the batter, you can pour it into the waffle maker. Be careful not to pour too much or it will spill out the sides and make a mess?
How do you make Belgian waffle mix better?
A mix of Belgian waffles can taste better with some simple additions. Adding lemon zest, cinnamon, vanilla extract or any other flavor extract can give you a fresher taste.
What can I add to Belgian waffle mix?
If you have a box of Belgian waffle mix you want to use up before making your own batter, try adding vanilla extract, citrus zest, cinnamon, or melted butter to it.
How to make waffle mix?
The waffle mix recipe is the easy part. This Belgian waffles recipe shows you how to make homemade waffle mix from scratch. It requires separately wet and dry ingredients, whipping egg whites, and then combining all that together.
Do you put eggs in waffle mix?
Yes, eggs bind the batter together. For the best waffles, you will whip the egg whites before combining them in the batter.
Is waffle mix the same as pancake mix?
No, even though they have many of the same ingredients in the batter. Waffles contain more fat.
Can I use pancake mix in a waffle maker?
Yes, you can use pancake mix in a waffle maker. However, you should add a little more oil to the batter.
How to Cook Belgian Waffles
Belgian waffles are so simple it’s ridiculous! You’ll need 3 bowls to mix with and a waffle iron to make them.
What makes a good waffle?
Preheating the waffle iron so it’s hot and whipping the egg whites are the key to having your waffles come out like they do at the best breakfast spot.
What is the secret of making crispy waffles?
For any crispy waffle recipe, baking powder and whipped egg whites are the best secrets for making your waffles turn out with a crispy exterior and fluffy interior.
What makes a waffle moist?
Getting the batter balanced results in a waffle that is crispy outside and fluffy inside, the perfect moisture content that makes every bite a joy to behold.
How do you make waffles taste better?
This recipe will help you make waffles that taste the best. If you want to add more to it, you can try some citrus zest, adding another extract like almond extract, or experiment with other spices like pumpkin spice seasoning.
Why are my waffles not fluffy?
When making a fluffy waffle recipe you need to time it right. Set the waffle iron to heat while you make the batter. By the time you are done making the batter, the iron will be perfectly hot and you can simply pour in your waffles. Letting batter sit too long makes the waffles less fluffy.
What goes well with Waffles?
You can’t go wrong with butter, syrup, whipped cream, or fresh fruit to put on top. You can add all those sides you love too like hashbrowns, bacon, breakfast sausages, eggs, and plenty of coffee.
How to store Belgian Waffles?
Belgian waffles must go in the fridge. We’ve found that our eyes are often bigger than our mouths, even with company over for breakfast. They keep well in there.
How long do Waffles last?
You won’t have long to eat them for that best taste, so aim for no longer than 2 days in the fridge.
Can you freeze Waffles?
Yes, this is the place all rockin’ waffles go when you can’t eat them all at once, despite your best efforts. In fact, they’ll last for 3 months when frozen, making them a perfect quick breakfast or snack any time!
How to reheat Waffles?
Thankfully, waffles are easy to reheat in the oven. Set it to 350F and coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray before laying the waffles in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes and they’ll be good to go!
Watch How To Make Waffles (Video)
Kulick's Belgian Waffle Recipe
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups whole milk
- Before assembling the batter, preheat the waffle iron and spray with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a second medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric hand mixture until stiff peaks form and set aside.
- In a third medium mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks, vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla extract. Add in the egg yolk mixture to the dry mixture and combine thoroughly. Fold in the egg whites gently.
- Pour the batter onto the hot waffle iron and cook according to the instructions. Serve immediately with syrup, powdered sugar, butter, and fresh fruit.