Looking for a vegan French toast recipe that rocks your world? It’s definitely possible to get that soft, sweet, and golden French toast even without eggs or dairy. This fully vegan recipe is great for your meatless breakfasts no matter who’s joining you at the table.
Best Vegan French Toast Recipe
When you have guests that come for the weekend or you invite for brunch and they tell you they’re vegan, this will be the ace up your sleeve to impress. It tastes just like regular French toast made with eggs and milk!
Easy Vegan French Toast Recipe
Vegan French toast is like a melody you know by heart, like your favorite KISS song. It’s just like making regular French toast, only with a few swaps of ingredients. From start to finish, it takes just 20 minutes until you’ll be digging into these golden beauties!
Vegan French Toast Ingredients
- White bread – Grab some slices of vegan bread that’s a few days old. It works better than fresh!
- Plant-based milk – Pick your favorite plant-based milk like almond, coconut, soy, oat, or flaxseed milk.
- Tofu – Our secret ingredient to make this rockin’ vegan French toast. Choose the extra firm style.
- Sugar – White sugar will keep this from tasting like tofu. Once you’re done, you won’t believe you used tofu to make this recipe!
- Vanilla extract – Brings in that warm and sweet flavor.
- Vegan butter – This will get our slices of vegan French toast to that golden crispiness.
- Cinnamon – The perfect spice for French toast.
- Salt – Adding a little salt brings out the best in the sweet flavors.
- Toppings – Gather your favorite vegan-friendly toppings like maple syrup, sliced strawberries, or blueberries.
How do you make vegan French toast from scratch?
You’ll take all those ingredients except the bread and your toppings and blend them together until they’re smooth. Then you can preheat your griddle on medium heat. Brush it with some of the vegan butter. If you don’t have any, you can just use oil. You’ll then pour that blended vegan custard into a shallow bowl so you can dip your bread into it. Make sure you dunk the bread slices really well in there for a good 20 seconds. Cook them on each side for about 4 minutes per side until they’re golden, then serve them with all those vegan toppings you love.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Vegan French Toast Every Time
- Make sure your bread is on the stale side. While you won’t want it for sandwiches, for vegan French toast, it will soak up that vegan custard so much better.
- Choose extra firm tofu. This will help give the vegan custard the right texture.
- Keep blending until it’s smooth. That custard should have no clumps or lumps in it.
- Don’t soak the bread too long. At 20 seconds, that is plenty of time for the stale bread to become infused with the vegan custard.
How to cook homemade vegan friendly French toast?
For homemade vegan friendly French toast, you’ll need your blender to make the custard and then you’ll cook your French toast on a griddle, just like you would with the regular version.
How do you make vegan French toast Savory?
You can use chickpea flour and nutritional yeast along with other seasonings like garlic powder from your spice rack. Topped with sliced avocado, it’s a great way to put a savory spin on your vegan French toast.
What is vegan French toast made of?
While there are several methods for making vegan French toast, this recipe uses white bread, plant-based milk, extra firm tofu, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt while cooking it in vegan butter.
What can I use instead of eggs for French toast?
In this recipe, extra firm tofu is used. It is blended with plant-based milk and a few other ingredients like sugar and cinnamon to create a custard that is completely vegan-friendly.
What is the best bread for vegan French toast?
White bread is the best option, though whatever bread you choose, be sure it is a few days old. This will help it soak up the vegan custard better and create the best vegan French toast.
What can I use instead of milk in French toast?
You can use plant-based milk when making your vegan French toast. This helps make the custard creamy while keeping it vegan-friendly.
How do you make vegan French toast not soggy?
The trick is to keep from soaking the bread slices for too long in the vegan custard. You’ll also want to be sure to use bread that is a few days old so it can take in enough of the custard for the best texture.
Is it better to cook vegan French toast in butter or oil?
Butter is always best for French toast because it adds more flavor. If you do not have vegan butter to use when making French toast, a cooking oil like vegetable oil will be just fine.
What can you put on top of vegan French toast?
You can put your favorite vegan toppings like pure maple syrup, fresh sliced fruits like strawberries or bananas, berries, vegan butter, or any vegan-friendly syrup or sauce that you like.
What goes well with vegan French toast?
With vegan French toast, we recommend pure maple syrup, slices of fresh strawberries, blueberries, any fresh berries, sliced bananas, or even toasted nuts. You can serve it with skillet potatoes, vegan yogurt, and meatless breakfast meat options like vegan bacon or vegan sausage.
How to store leftover vegan French toast?
This vegan French toast disappears pretty quickly, though if you have any leftover, you should put it in an airtight container in your fridge.
How long does vegan French toast last?
Make sure you eat your leftover vegan French toast from the fridge in 3 days. It will be better the sooner you eat it though it will still be safe for consumption. Still, if you’ve got a bounty of leftovers, you can put them in your freezer.
Can you freeze vegan French toast?
Yes, freeze away, folks! But do remember these will be easier to work with if you wrap them separately. You should make sure you use them within 2 months.
How to reheat vegan French toast?
The best way to reheat vegan French toast is to warm it up in the oven. Set it to 350F, place your vegan French toast on a wire rack on a baking tray and cover it with foil. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes. You can also warm it gently in a skillet over low heat to keep from burning your vegan breakfast leftovers.
Watch How To Make Vegan French Toast (Video)
Vegan French Toast Recipe
- 1 cup plant-based milk (almond, coconut, soy, oat, flaxseed)
- 5 oz extra firm tofu
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 6 slices white bread (a few days old)
- maple syrup (optional topping)
- sliced strawberries (optional topping)
- blueberries (optional topping)
- Add all ingredients except bread and blend until smooth.
- Preheat the griddle over medium heat and brush with vegan butter or oil.
- Pour the vegan custard into a shallow bowl and dip each side of the sliced bread for about 20 seconds.
- Cook each side for about 4 minutes or until golden-brown.
- Once it’s reached the desired color serve immediately with vegan toppings of choice.